(Sponsored by Adobe Systems)
LINEUP: motion capture & character animation for MTV2's Video Mods / Allegorithmic MaP | Time / Discreet's 3ds max 7 / Door Prizes
Character animation is the theme that runs through this month's meeting and prizes - but that's certainly not where it stops! Join us for our last meeting at the LA Film School - we plan to end our run there in boffo fashion (including giving away over $3700 in prizes!).
We'll attempt to answer your latest question and debunk the latest rumors while people get parked and seated. 3Dconnexion will be in the lobby again, giving you a chance to try their innovative input devices hands-on.
MGLA favorite Alex Lindsay of dvGarage returns, this time showing behind the scenes for MTV2's "Video Mods": a show that coverts game characters into rock stars, with motion capture and few other 3D tricks. See how it all comes together to build fully-CG music videos. Alex will be covering character set-up and pipeline issues as well as showing the basics of the Motion Capture process.
Alex always brings a bag full o' goodies to give away, and this meeting again is no exception; Alex is giving away 1 Power Pak (dvGarage Bundle $1100 Value), 3 Pixel Corps 3-Month Memberships ($135 Value each), 1 Copy of dvMatte Pro ($199 Value), and 1 Surface Suite ($249 value).
Dr Sébastien Deguy, President and Founder of Allegorithmic, will be on hand (all the way from France) to personally give us a taste of his company's MaP | Time plug-in for After Effects and combustion - a fully-editable video filter designer featuring a range of image distortion, color manipulation, and temporal effects (with over 350 presets).Visit their web site to see a gallery, and download a PDF document and demo version to learn more.
It is currently available for Windows; a Mac version is coming soon. List price is $690; Sebastien is generously donating a copy as a door prize.
Discreet has a new version of their very popular 3D animation tool, 3ds max, that they will be presenting. They are boosting that v7 sports a new feature set designed to increase performance and boost productivity, including "the most comprehensive advanced character animation toolset currently available, acclaimed visual effects tools, and support for next generation production environments." New features such as Normal Mapping, Character animation tools including: Skin Warp, Skin Morph, Parameter Collector and Editor, Reaction Controller, Skin Shader that uses Sub-Surface Scattering and for the first time character studio 4 is now included at no additional charge, Click here to download a new feature PDF.
3ds max 7 will be demonstrated by Vincent Brisebois, an applications engineer for 3ds max with real-world experience ranging from video games and engineering to film and broadcast. Specializing in lighting and rendering, he has worked with the Deringer Group, Frantic Films and David Lynch. He is based out of Santa Monica and does product demonstrations as well as technical training for 3dsmax and combustion.
Yet another long list of great prizes, worth over $3700 total! Please check out the links below so you can have an idea of what you want to pick should you win.
For those new to our meetings, we hand out tickets (one per person, free) during the second half of the meeting (grab one and pass the strip along). We then draw at the end, with winners getting their choice of one of whatever prizes are left on the table, in the order we call your numbers.
* the dvGarage Power Pak Bundle of most of their software and textureware ($1100 value)
* the MaP | Time filter designer plug-in for After Effects and combustion, courtesy of Allegorithmic ($690 value)
* the colorful Soap
Film royalty-free stock footage library from Artbeats ($499 value)
(by the way, buy any Artbeats library worth $229 or more this month and get their Reel Explosions 3 library for only $199)
* ProductionBlox Unit 01 stock footage library, courtesy 12 Inch Design ($249 value)
* a copy of dvGarage's Surface Suite ($249 value)
* a copy of dvGarage's dvMatte Pro ($199 Value)
* Todd Grimes' Body Animation and Facial Animation training DVDs courtesy of Desktop Images ($140 combined value)
* 3 Pixel Corps 3-Month Memberships for the winter term ($135 value each)
* Inside Premiere Pro training DVD from Magnet Media ($99 value)
* the latest issue of the DVD magazine Zoom In - an HD Special Issue - which also includes tutorials on After Effects 6.5, Photoshop CS, DVD Studio Pro 3, and Apple's Motion ($49 value)
* Adobe Encore DVD In the Studio by Douglas Dixon courtesy of O'Reilly Media ($40 value)
* Shade 7 designer LE: Step-by-step tutorials from Curious Labs, courtesy of Peachpit Press ($40 value)
* Lighting for Digital Video and Television (second edition) by John Jackman, courtesy of CMP Books ($40 value)
* Character Animation in 3D by Steve Roberts courtesy of Focal Press ($37 value)
* Digital Photography Hacks by Derrick Story courtesy of O'Reilly Media ($30 value)
* Avid Xpress Pro and DV On The Spot by Steve Hullfish, Chris Phrommayon, and Bob Donlon courtesy of CMP Books ($28 value)
* the Focal Press Easy Guide to Discreet combustion 3 by Gary Davis ($25 value)
* Instant Boris Effects by Chris Vadnais courtesy of CMP Books ($25 value)
And again, thanks to Adobe's sponsorship of MGLA this year, admission was free!
Chris, Trish, Lucky, Tony, and Warren
Your MGLA co-hosts
Wireless mics provided by ProMax